As we enter the holiday season, it is the perfect time to practice quite time, nurturing and allowing the body the space and time to let go and deeply relax. Give your child the gift of relaxation tools this holiday season.
Here’s a quick tool to add to your holiday bag of “relaxation tools”:
Lady Bug Pose With Sensory Spots
- Take a deep breath together and have your child get into lady bug pose, (child’s pose works). Model the pose for your child if he has never done it before.
- Ask him how many spots he would like today. To make it even more fun, ask him what color he wants his spots to be.
- While he is in the pose, gently apply deep pressure while “putting on the spots.” Place the “spots” along his back on both sides of his spine. As you are pressing each spot, press it for 5 seconds before moving on to the next one. This time can be modified to your child’s preference. Do not put pressure directly on the spine. Ask him how it feels. Ask him if he would like more or less pressure. Count out loud slowly as you “apply the spots.”
- If he is really enjoying it you can repeat the spots, starting over or ask him if he would like more spots.
- Have him put on your spots if appropriate.
Tags: child's pose, children's relaxation, deep sensory techniques, family relaxation, lady bug pose, one minute relaxers, relax, relax in one minute, relaxation techniques, relaxation techniques for kids, stress management, stress management for kids, stretching for kids, yoga for kids