Peacock breath helps kids to slow down their breathing and return to calm and center. I use peacock feathers as a visual aid while teaching this deep breath. You can order peacock feathers very inexpensively off of amazon, (simply click the image below and it will take you to the link where I purchased mine). .
1. First, give each child a peacock feather of their own to hold.
2. Hold the feather in front and exhale completely, seeing how long you can blow the peacock feather. Watch the feather move with your out-breath.
3. Breathe in slowly to the count of four.
4. Hold your breath and count to two.
6. Repeat several times. Discuss with your child how it feels. Notice any differences in the body. Notice if you feel more relaxed or if tension is released.
Every time you begin to feel tense, you can get a peacock feather and make it “dance” with your out-breath.
Have fun relaxing!!
Tags: breathing with feathers, calm down corner, calm down easily, deep breath, deep breath in the classroom, deep breathing for kids, fun way to calm, one minute relaxer, peacock breath, quick calm down technique, quick relaxation for kids, quiet time for kids, relaxation fun for kids, relaxation station, relaxation technique